Ordering & Installing Quartz Countertops from Menards

May 4, 2014 by Sarah

The quartz countertops are in, and they are glorious. Ordering & installing quartz countertops from Menards was quite the ordeal, let me tell you.

quartz countertops from Menards We went with RiverStone Quartz, sold by Menard’s and manufactured by Midwest Manufacturing.

riverstone quartz cotton

RiverStone Quartz $31/sq ft

The color is called Cotton. It is mostly white with flecks of greys and clear glass. It is really quite lovely. quartz countertops ogee edge A lot of blood, sweat, tears, cursing, and multiple trips to Menard’s went into this whole countertop situation and I am screaming at the top of my lungs right now THANK GAWD IT IS OVER!!!  Now for your future planning and reading pleasure:

The Pros & Cons of Ordering Quartz at Menards:
  • Price: PRO

With a kitchen sale, plus an 11% rebate on the total price, this was BY FAR the cheapest quartz countertops we found. Figuring in the rebate, we paid about $750.  That comes out to about $29/sq ft. WOOOOOPPP! That sure beats the estimate we got for Cambria countertops at $89/sq ft, and Silestone from IKEA at $69/sq ft.

• DIY Installation: PRO

Some places will not sell the countertop without including installation (added cost).  Installation was really easy in our case since we did not need to worry about any miters or really long runs of countertops (this stuff is heavy). The countertops come with installation and care instructions, and there are also videos on the manufacturer’s website.

• Looks Good: PRO

It looks really good. We had a choice of 3 edge profiles, and we went with a ogee edge, which was included in the price with no extra profile up-charge. We thought it would go with the traditional style of the kitchen. It looks much more expensive than it was.

• Helpful Kitchen Dept Managers: PRO

This is common sense, but you will want to design and order your countertops during daytime hours, during the week when the regular staff is working. Ordering or making changes to your order with weekend/night staff is a disaster waiting to happen. I’m guilty, sadly. After a slight meltdown at the store, the manager had to step in and help clear everything up. She called and emailed me with updates on our order, and she also gave me her personal cell number in case I needed to make more changes. She was great!

• Limited color/style selection: CON

They have 18 colors–not near as many as Silestone or Cambria.  If you recall, my initial countertop of choice was this beauty by Cambria:

Bellingham by Cambria priced at $89/sq ft...not happening.

Bellingham by Cambria priced at $89/sq ft…not happening.

• Long process: CON

After the countertops are designed, a few days later a template is made and shipped to your house, which takes about two weeks. You have to approve the template before they start production on the countertop which takes another two weeks.  If you need to make changes to the order after seeing the template, you have to go back to the store and start from scratch, meaning you change the order, a new template is made, shipped, and needs to be approved.

• The in-store design system cannot make custom cuts/angles: CON

The computer program could not make the odd little cut-outs we needed for the IKEA sink or make slight angle changes to accommodate uneven walls. We had to have the kitchen manager draw out the design by hand and send it in to the manufacturer just so we could get a proper estimate.  This added about two weeks to the wait time just for the estimate.

I made SEVERAL trips to Menard’s to make sure the measurements were exactly what we needed. Between all the changes and fixing what needed to be done it took about two months for the store and manufacturer to just get the order right.  You heard that right, 2 months!  The biggest concern was the notches that the IKEA farmhouse sink needed to fit properly.

menards countertop template order

The people at Menard’s were just baffled by this and did not fully understand why they were needed.  IKEA + Menards does not make for a happy couple, apparently.

countertop notch for domsjo sink

Once we approved the template online (which was nice) it sends the order into production. They originally said it would take two weeks for the countertops to come in, but it only took one week for us.  We didn’t have a big enough vehicle to haul the countertops so we rented a truck from Menards for $18.  We picked up the countertops on Easter morning.  This is the second time I broke the cardinal rule of only dealing with important things during regular business hours. I am sure all the regulars were at home with their families which is why the countertops were almost dropped and smashed into a million pieces when they were trying to load them into the truck with the fork lift.  *slaps hand to forehead*

quartz countertop acclimation

We got them home without incident, and of course we enlisted a second set of hands from Adrian’s brother to help with the heavy lifting. After schlepping the 3 pieces into the house we let them rest for a good 24 hours per the manufacturer’s instructions.  The countertops need to acclimate to the temperature of the room before they are installed or they could break. They also must stay in the vertical position until they are ready to be installed.

riverstone quartz countertop installation

The countertops were *supposed* to came with dishwasher clips, epoxy, and color matched silicone caulk that was built into the price. Unfortunately, we were shorted the dishwasher clips and epoxy, and then I opened the caulk and it was completely cured all the way through–because WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYTHING GO RIGHT AT THIS POINT. Just ridiculous. I promptly made my way back to Menard’s where they gave me a new tube of caulk for free, but it was still annoying.  I didn’t ask for the clips or the epoxy since we decided that we didn’t need it.

caulk gun

silicone caulk for kitchen countertops

I was really worried about the cutout for the cooktop and whether or not it would turn out properly, but alas, it was a perfect fit. cooktop cutout in quartz countertop ..only after having to make some modifications to the IKEA cooktop cabinet. notching ikea cabinet for cooktop The directions for the induction cooktop (read about the one we picked here) did specify that the cabinet may need to be cut to accommodate the cooktop–but apparently we chose to overlook that bit of info way back forever ago when we were designing the kitchen. installing  quartz countertops Adrian used a combo of a circular saw and a hack saw to notch most of the cabinet, while I finished up with a wood chisel and hammer. A router would have worked nice if we had one–add it to the list. notching cabinet for cooktop All at this point we decided to add some 2x4s behind the dishwasher, and the sides of the cabinets for extra support as suggested by the manufacturer. extra support for countertopswall braket support for quartz countertop After properly acclimated, we did a dry run and placed the countertops into the cabinets to check for fit and make sure everything looked right. installing quartz countertops Thankfully, everything fit.  I don’t think I could handle one more setback with these damn things. Then a bit of silicone was placed on the cabinet tops and the countertops were snugged into place. Once the silicone set, the sink was installed. If you recall, we went with the DOMSJO double bowl farmhouse sink from IKEA.

domsjo double bowl sink

IKEA DOMSJO 36″ Double Bowl sink for $300

white ikea farmhouse sink installed This sink actually sits on top of the counters on either side so it was really easy to install. We had plumbers run the pipes for us. white apron front sink The faucet is also from IKEA. It is a single lever pull-out high arch model that has a 10-year warranty.

ELVERDAM faucet for $179

ELVERDAM faucet for $179

ikea faucet The quartz installation was quite easy since we didn’t have to deal with splicing pieces together or mounting a sink underneath the countertop.  If I had to do it over I would probably do it again–purely for the price savings even though it was a huge headache.  We saved over $1500 by ordering and installing these babies ourselves compared to the Cambria contractor-installed route. HIGH FIVE. riverstone quartz countertops from menards installed WE HAVE C-TOPS! …and they are amazing. I have heard from a few others out there that ordered Riverstone Quartz, including Stacey from D’oh!-I-Y who also went with the cotton color.  It sounds like other people have had similar experiences.  It is hard to believe we have running water after all this time…sweet, sweet, running water.

And now I leave you with a reminder of what the kitchen looked like 5 months ago:

kitchen before

21 thoughts on “Ordering & Installing Quartz Countertops from Menards

1. kelly says:

2. Ape says:

1. You’re sink is massive. That is awesome.
    2. You have great light with the new windows and light colored finishes all around.
    3. Cook me a feast, damnit.

3. Stacey says:

Thanks for the shout out! That all sounds really familiar–so much so that I had to read the post twice because I started laughing uncontrollably at “WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYTHING GO RIGHT AT THIS POINT” and then added some ladylike snorting from the “enthused” picture onward. We’d do it again as well, but Menards makes you work for it, don’t they?

We did get our epoxy and clips, but received no instructions whatsoever. We just thought that was part of their “good luck with that” approach, but I’m relieved to hear that they do (usually?) include some instructions.

Congrats! It looks great.

4. Reuben says:

I can’t believe you can post a photo of those incredible pants and not even mention them anywhere in the post. You can’t just put something like that out there and not address the situation.

Oh, also, nice counter.

• Sarah says:

Ha! I knew someone was going to comment on those…just glad you didn’t say anything cheesehead related. Those are my amazing Vikings pajama pants which also double as countertop installation pants, clearly.

5. Leslie says:

How did you get 11% off at Menards on the countertops? We are thinking of ordering the Cotton Quartz as well. Thanks!

• Sarah says:

To get the 11% off you have to buy during their 11% sale which they run several times per year. It is actally not 11% off but it is an 11% rebate which you get in the form of a merchandise check that can only be used at Menards. They never have the countertops on sale at the same time as there big 11% sales however. We only got the 11% off the sale price because of a mistake in our order. I recommend buying during a regular kitchen sale because you will save about 15 to 20% compared to the 11%.

6. Paul B says:

Count your blessings, when the builder who remodeled our house before we bought it (thank god) ordered the countertops from Menards they came with the wrong sink cut out. Not once, not twice, but three times. That’s right folks they made that 2 piece countertop 3 times. Oh but wait, it get’s better, the fourth one, the one they got the cut out right in, They made it in the wrong color. Builder had ordered Sedona, they made the last one in Aspen. He called me and we all agreed that we would take the new counter with the correct cutout and Menards would remake the much smaller 2 pieces that were right in Aspen so the kitchen would all match.

I must say, I really felt bad for the Kitchen Manager at Menards. He still winces every time he see’s me walk through the department.

I don’t know HOW Menards makes any money on this stuff.

• Sarah says:

Wow. I thought I had a hard time. Yikes! I am planning on ordering a couple more really simple pieces that don’t need cutouts for my bathroom and laundry area. Wish me luck.

7. Robert says:

I am starting on our kitchen now and installing this sink. Like you we were able to buy prefabbed countertops and it saved us a ton, my only concern is the notch in our new marble. Is this necessary? I was at Ikea and checked out their displays in great detail and I think they just had the whole slab pulled back the 4/5″, does this seem reasonable or am I missing a major flaw in this method? Thanks for any help.

• Sarah says:

I think that is pretty reasonable, but the sink already sticks out a far amount as it is. If you pulled it back the extra 4/5 I would think it would make it look like it is sticking out a little too much. I doubt anyone is going to get out a tape measure and critique how far your sink is sticking out, so it you dont have an issue with it go for it. The only other real issue I would see is that there would be very little overhang above the cabinets. A little bit of overhand is nice to keep stuff from dripping onto the face of the cabinets. Try putting a piece of plywood on top at the different depths and see how you like it. It was a headache getting those notches figured out–but in the end I am glad we did it. Our kitchen is pretty small per todays standards so every inch mattered to us. Good luck on your project!

• Robert says:

I did not explain my example well. I would not cut from the overhang over the countertop; I would stop the countertop 4/5″ from the width, meaning on each side taking 4/5″ off. My current plan is for the countertop to measure 25.5″ x 51″ and 25.5″ x 20″. I am thinking about making these 25.5″ x 50.2″(50 1/5″) and 25.5″ x 19.2″(19 1/5″) respectively. It seems the sides of the sink would still cover this sufficiently, but if that were true why go to the headache of adding this issue in the first place? I am hoping this is just over engineering. Thanks for your help and quick response.

• Sarah says:

Ohh, I see what you are saying now. I would be a little leary of that (at least with my IKEA cabinets) because it seems like it would significantly decrease the surface area holding up the counter on the end, plus the weight of the sink too. If you have sufficent support underneath I dont think it would be an issue. Lots of people have some type of plywood or straping on top of the cabinets under the countertops. Maybe you could look into that. Or if you have solid constructed wood boxes I would trust it a little more.

8. Stephan says:

Hi. Did you have any worries putting the weight of quartz on the particle board box frame cabinets? I am looking to upgrade our countertop to quartz and I am worried that my Ikea style particle board frames may not be solid enough.

• Sarah says:

I did a fair amount of research on that and concluded that the cabinet strength was plenty sufficient. Plus, you have to think IKEA would not sell granite and quartz if their cabinets were not going to hold up it to. Their 25yr warrenty says a lot, too me at least. That being said, I did add extra supposed along the sides and behind the dishwasher so the edges at the wall are fully supported. I havent noticed any bowing, buckling, etc. Hope that helps.

9. Kari says:

Hey! We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and are going with the cotton riverstone quartz as well! We have been waiting to order them during an 11% rebate sale (which starts today) but we’re wondering at which point you actually pay for the order? If the template takes 2 weeks to arrive, then you have to approve it, is that when you pay for the order? If so we will probably miss the rebate deadline. We may have to do some negotiating when we go in today! 😊 thanks for the post! It looks great!

Comment or I'll hate you forever.

Sarah&Adrian @ StPaulHaus