Gettin it on the floor

Leave a comment

January 31, 2013 by Sarah

Wow. I can’t believe that was 10 years ago already. I now actually feel very old.

Maybe you might have seen a large, gaping hole in the floor in our dining room by the air vent in previous posts, maybe not, but here it is in close up form. Gahh. There were holes and missing floor boards all over the place when we tore out the carpet. Some of the missing areas were replaced when we had the floors refinished. We actually cut the hardwood out of the inside of the closet and used that to patch much of the floor at the time. There however was not enough to replace all the missing places. This one has been like this ever since. This picture makes it look worse than it actually is because the vent cover is not in place, but it is still a very noticeable gap.


I have been looking around for reclaimed pine boards that are the same width and color but it is very hard to come by. Must reclaimed wood is maple, some oak, and some wide pine can be found for a hefty price. I decided to just use a scrap piece of pine molding I had laying around the house. DSC_0436

I mixed a couple stain colors I had from other projects to find a similar color. I put on a couple layers of poly for satin shine to match the floor.

The missing area was cut poorly and uneven by whomever decided they needed to remove it in the first place. Adrian used the dremel and a chisel to even it out. DSC_0429DSC_0434

It is not a perfect match, but it gets the job done.


It was glued and nailed down in place. The nails were set and covered with wood putty. image

The baseboard was replaced. 

and I put down some 1/4 round.  The whole thing needs to be repainted, but it looks decent.


Look at this little guy…image

Suppa kewt, but I don’t want any hairs in those cabinet’s future ice cream paint job.  I will hopefully have another post on the window seat after this weekend. I don’t know if I will be able to finish it with the big game this weekend, but I am going to try.

Happy Friday everyone!

0 thoughts on “Gettin it on the floor

  1. Reuben says:

    Sometimes you just have to make something work… good job.

  2. We faced very similar issues at our last house when taking up the carpet. My husband took hardwood out of the closets to patch damaged hardwood. Not fun 🙁
    Your patch under the vent looks seamless. Well done!

    • stpaulhaus says:

      Thank you! I wish we had some hardwood left from the closet but we had already used it all. Bummer. O well, do what you can with what you have. Pretty happy with the results 🙂

Comment or I'll hate you forever.

Sarah&Adrian @ StPaulHaus

About Us

We are DIY weekend warriors. We like old houses and cats. Learn more here.

Follow STP Haus

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 581 other subscribers


Kitchen Progress

Living Room Progress

Posts by Room

%d bloggers like this: